Thursday, June 25, 2015

A Wheat Field in Kansas: New Beginnings of the Mind Dan Miller

This is a guest post by Derek Olsen, co-author of the book One Bed, One Bank Account and co-host of The Better Conversations Podcast. Derek and his wife Carrie encourage married couples to have better conversations about money that will strengthen their marriages. Derek and Carrie challenge everything money related on their blog, in their books, and on their podcast. When it’s time to get serious about your money, come find us.  If you’d like to guest post on this blog, check out the guidelines here.

Living in Kansas City means I have the pleasure of driving across Kansas several times a year.

I love it.

Endless fields of green and gold allow my mind to drift.

I’ve had some amazing thoughts and experiences in the middle of “nowhere.” There’s just something about those wide open places that give space for the imagination to run wild.

Recently I found myself in the back lot of a Sonic Drive-in half way between Denver and Kansas City. I stood next to our car stretching my legs while waiting on our food to be delivered when a sound caught my ear.

The sound was coming from the enormous wheat field that lay about thirty feet away. The sound begged me to come closer.

I walked right up to the edge of the field. I reached down and snatched up some wheat and held it in my hand. The waves of gold stretched out towards the horizon.

This field of wheat in central Kansas is nearly ready for harvest. An unusual misty morning added misty drops to the wheat stalks. Focus is on wheat closest in foreground.

The waves of wheat can sound like beautiful music

I watched the wind make waves. I listened to the wheat play its music. I lost myself in the beauty. I just stood there listening.

A few minutes passed and I noticed an older woman approaching me. I thought perhaps she was going to ask me to leave or give me a Can I help you? sort of invitation to buzz off.

I was pleasantly surprised.

“I’m the owner of this land.” She said with a friendly smile.

“Oh really? I was just listening to the waves.” I replied.

“Yes, it’s beautiful isn’t it?” She said.

“Yup, we don’t get to hear nature like this in the middle of the city where I live.” I replied.

She went on to tell me how she inherited the 240 acres from her mother several years ago and how her father had farmed it for many years before that.

We had a really nice chat and she told me all kinds of things about the area and about farming.

Then she said something that struck me like lightening.

“My father used to say that this is where everything begins.”

Whoa! What did she mean by that?!

I mean… seriously!? A wheat field isn’t much to look at and I can’t imagine anything but maybe a loaf of bread beginning there.

She went on to explain that without food, nothing else happens. Humans can’t play sports, go to school, drive cars, build libraries, or sip coffee without food being taken care of first. It’s a top priority, and thankfully one that is mostly taken care of in the developed world.

So here I am, standing in front of a massive golden wheat field in Kansas being told that this is the beginning of all other things. Wow.

It was a special day.

I walked away from our conversation refreshed. I don’t know if it was the wheat field or the conversation or both.

It got me thinking about beginnings. New ones.

I’m not talking about a new job, a new car, or a new year.

I’m talking about new beginnings of the mind.

What can begin in a person’s mind that can eventually lead to and support other, more impressive things?

Every second of every day of our lives we have the opportunity for new beginnings. We don’t have to wait until Monday or January 1st to make a change. We can choose a new beginning right now:

  • A new attitude.
  • A new perspective.
  • A new direction.
  • A new relationship, or perhaps a renewed one.
  • We can drop that which isn’t working and pick up a new focus.

Such a simple place for big changes to begin, right there in your mind. So simple, we might overlook it while waiting for change to come from the outside.

All the great things that mankind has built has it’s beginnings in a simple wheat field.

And how many great things can come about in your life from the simple decision to begin?

Without new beginnings we have nothing.



from Official Site Dan Miller http://ift.tt/1GuOZJM
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment