Friday, August 7, 2015

Why do I have to work with morons? Dan Miller

A 48 Days Podcast listener writes:

“I just started a new job recently and I love the type of work I do. But the only thing that is bothering me is the environment that I’m in, I feel uncomfortable working with people who are taking advantage of the company day in and day out.  They are

Exhausted businessman falling asleep at his office desk

Maybe this dude has his work completed

constantly on their phones when no one is around. They don’t do it in front of our boss but when she is not around they live on their phones, computers, sitting around , talking etc..  I’m not the type who likes to tattle tail on people but it’s way out of hand and I don’t know what to do.  Should I ask to be moved to another position or just deal with it because it’s eating me up watching these people steal from the company everyday.”

Andy – Every company has it’s own “culture.”  It will never be perfect.  Please be clear that if you have taken a JOB you have given up a great deal of control for the work environment you’ll be in.  Be realistic about what you can control and what you can’t control.  If the company has a “results only” culture it may not be an issue that people aren’t spending a full 8 hours on work.  Lots of companies give employees the freedom to complete their work without even coming in to the office – and those employees could be in their jammies and running a side business on eBay.

Asking to be moved to another position because of what you describe will not put you in a good light.  It will appear that even though you’re a new employee you are immediately making judgements about the quality of the current employees’ work.  I would suggest you set the example by being someone with integrity and strong work ethic.  That will get noticed on it’s own and new opportunities will appear.

Check out our free resource to help understand yourself better – What Work Fits My Personality



from Official Site Dan Miller http://ift.tt/1KVJ7QH
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment